Ease Digestive Problems
It's important to understand diarrhea, coughs, colds, etc as cleansers of the body. Vomiting and diarrhea help clean the body of irritants.
sip Sip SIP!
Your body's losing fruids, and you need to put them back into your body. Take clear liquids, such as water, ginger ale. Avoid milk producuts.
As you begin to get better and your appetite returns, switch to the BRAT diet: Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. Avoid fatty and spicy foods for the initial days after your symptoms.
What is fever?
Again, fever is a sign that your body is fighting infection.
Call your doctor if your temperature is more than 102F
Take it easy!
Relax, recline. Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration, and just get OFF your feet (and rest).
When to call the Doctor
- When you have the symptoms for more than 5-7 days
- Fever > 102F for more than a day
- Signs of dehydration including extreme thirst, dakr urine, infrequent urination
- Spotted, red or very sore throat
- Cough and chest pain
- Thermomeneter to monitor fever
- Acetaminophen, ibuprofen to relieve headaches/muscle aches
- Decongestants and saline spray to open a stuffy nose
- Cough syrup to loosen mucus or suppress a dry cough
- Chicken soup, herbal tea, (ginger ale)
- Good books and magazines, comfortable clothes
Next: Successful Self-Care