Once the Holy Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said to Ali(May Allah be pleased with him):
"Do five things before going to bed at night, that is,
- Give 4000 dinars in charity
- Read one entire Holy Quran
- Fulfill the rights of Heaven
- Reconcile between two people fighting, and
- Perform one Hajj."
- "Read Surah Fatiha 4 times, and you shall gain the reward of 4000 dinars in charity
- Read Surah Ikhlaas thrice, and you will gain the reward of reciting a Quran
- Recite Durood Shareef thrice, and you will gain the reward of Jannah
- Recite Astaghfirullah (Rabbi min Qulli Zambin Wa Aatubu Ilaih) ten times, and you will gain the reward of making peace between two people fighting, and
- Recite the third Kalima (Subhaanallahi Wal Humdu lillahi Wa Laa Ilaha Ilal laahi Allahu Akbar Wa Laa Hawla Wa laa Quwata Illa Bil laahil Aliyil Azeem) 4times and you will gain the reward of performing Hajj."
On hearing these words, Ali (radi Allahu anhu) said: "As from this day onwards, I will always follow this practice."