Friday, December 14, 2007

Egg crisis!

Eggs have disappeared off the shelves of all major super markets in Al Ain. I don't know the situation in other cities, and I'm too lazy to research. You can check out Gulf News.com or Khaleej Times.com.
A tray of large eggs used to cost 12 dhs. A few days ago, the price had doubled to 26 dhs. And I asked my father today, it's upto 29, and eggs are still hard to find!

I hope this scarcity is temporary. The reason is cases of bird flu in India and Saudi Arabia. Local production isn't enough to meet the demands.

On an unrelated note, my mother collected the vegetable waste in the evening so that my father could give it to the neighbours to feed their hens. I didn't know hens eat vegetables.

Today however, we went to Buraimi for some errands. For all you Al Ain-ers lost without eating their eggs, the cost of the tray across the border is only 18dhs, and they are available!

Go get 'em!

3 comments:

Syra said...

happens here in pk too. Prices of cakes and pastries (egg products)go up then too.

Sketched Soul said...

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,

I hope things are well at your end.

Ooh..the disappearing eggs is news to me. I'd be very sad if it happen here.. really.

Erm.. I didn't know hens eat vegetables either. Well dried vegetables.. like corn, etc.

Anyway..
Insha'Allah the whole bird flu thing gets sorted.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

Humairah Irfan said...

The egg situation is still quite bad! But what are flax seeds for? :)