In the 9 years of Grameen Bank, Muhammad Yunus has established 16 decisions that the loanees have to make before they get the money. These are some of the most-well thought out issues you could ever bring out in a developing country.
To think that 6.74 million borrowers, 97 percent of whom are women have actually committed themselves to do away with dowry- The concept is simply unbelievable.
In the CNN report on Muhammad Yunus receiving the Nobel Peace Award, upon being asked that Islam prohibits interest, and "you are a Muslim, most of your borrowers are Muslim, then how does this work?" He replied that most (religious) people who had issues with his bank were concerned with that the loans went to women, and NOT that he asked for interest...
- We shall follow and advance the four principles of Grameen Bank --- Discipline, Unity, Courage and Hard work – in all walks of our lives.
- Prosperity we shall bring to our families.
- We shall not live in dilapidated houses. We shall repair our houses and work towards constructing new houses at the earliest.
- We shall grow vegetables all the year round. We shall eat plenty of them and sell the surplus.
- During the plantation seasons, we shall plant as many seedlings as possible.
- We shall plan to keep our families small. We shall minimize our expenditures. We shall look after our health.
- We shall educate our children and ensure that they can earn to pay for their education.
- We shall always keep our children and the environment clean.
- We shall build and use pit-latrines.
- We shall drink water from tubewells. If it is not available, we shall boil water or use alum.
- We shall not take any dowry at our sons' weddings, neither shall we give any dowry at our daughters wedding. We shall keep our centre free from the curse of dowry. We shall not practice child marriage.
- We shall not inflict any injustice on anyone, neither shall we allow anyone to do so.
- We shall collectively undertake bigger investments for higher incomes.
- We shall always be ready to help each other. If anyone is in difficulty, we shall all help him or her.
- If we come to know of any breach of discipline in any centre, we shall all go there and help restore discipline.
- We shall take part in all social activities collectively.
See the images here: The 16 Decisions of Grameen Bank