I'm working on putting together a list of nomination criteria for a lifetime achievement award for a professional organisation. The exercise has been quite interesting, with questions like:
- How long is a "life time"?
- How do you compare achievements in different profession?
- Minimum percentage of community contribution?
- How much should be the person known in the circles around him?
- Education level?
- Should self-nominations be allowed?
I'm still working on the criteria, but here are my thoughts.
If your plan is
- to work a 9-5 job and support your family, and volunteer once in a while because that's all you can handle,
- Or, if you have no career goals but simply want to serve the community, like running a soup kitchen,
- Or, having a goal such as setting up a school for orphans by putting all your money behind it
Now, this award is quite different from the type of work you would do to raise your rank in front of Allah (swt)- That's a completely different story, because Allah (swt) loves a charitable act that's done in such a way that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand has given, or a youth who's attached to the masjid, or those who serve their parents; you can't get an award in this dunya for that type of worship.
So, what kind of work do you need to do to get an award both in this dunya, and the akhira?