Sunday, October 07, 2007

"After Ramadan" syndrome | Evaluate friendships- Reflections Ramadan 25

Sometime during Ramadan, either in the beginning, middle or end, many get used to saying the phrase, "inshallah, after Ramadan". Basically, people are trying to cut down on extra activities, such as phone calls and emails to focus on their worship.
However, as I've been telling my sister, if it's a task that you can postpone after Ramadan, then perhaps it's a task not worth indulging in. Far too many complain about the lack of time, yet many can't seem to let go of wasteful use of their time. Facebook is one such avenue. Hogging blog stats is another. And yet another is an irresponsible sleeping schedule (that ultimately messes you up and makes you tired towards the end).
One should ask themselves the question, "can I be doing something better with my time at this moment?".
I was talking to someone on the phone last night who complained to me how she felt bad about not being able to do much this Ramadan because of her schoolwork. And just the week before, she was @ a meeting that she could have skipped, or left early. Saving time in Ramadan for worship DOES NOT mean that you give up important tasks such as working, studying, cooking or cleaning, but rather, cutting down on everything that is extra. In fact, you are being rewarded for all the cooking and cleaning you do when it is for the sake of Allah (swt). There really is no room for saying, "I've been busy". It's about maximising the use your free/ and otherwise wasteful time.

In order to help oneself with such a problem, it's very important to quantify the amount of time these avoidable tasks take. I call this the shock treatment, because it would really shock you to know how many precious minutes and half-hours and hours you wasted.

Along these lines, it's also a good time to evaluate your friendships. Are your friends spending their time doing what you do and indulging you in wasting your time, intellect or your life? This is a question that Jeewan raised today in his reflections. We forget that our true brothers/sisters care about us before Allah, about who we are as individuals, our choices and decisions- about what will happen to us when we die.
So while you are examining yourselves, also examine who is the relationships with your brothers and sisters for?
Last night as the Imam recited the following verses from the end of Surah Qaf, he cried a lot and repeated them a few times. This one caught my attention:
His Companion will say: "Our Lord! I did not make him transgress, but he was (himself) far astray."
This verse struck me...... and made me realise how absolutely important it is to watch out for my sisters and brothers, so that I'm not the Companion who will be doomed that day.


And the Trumpet shall be blown: that will be the Day whereof Warning (had been given).
And there will come forth every soul: with each will be an (angel) to drive, and an (angel) to bear witness.
"Thou wast heedless of this; now have We removed thy veil, and sharp is thy sight this Day!"
And his Companion will say: "Here is (his Record) ready with me!"
(The sentence will be:) "Throw, throw into Hell every contumacious Rejecter (of Allah)!- "Who forbade what was good, transgressed all bounds, cast doubts and suspicions;
"Who set up another god beside Allah: Throw him into a severe penalty."
His Companion will say: "Our Lord! I did not make him transgress, but he was (himself) far astray."
He will say: "Dispute not with each other in My Presence: I had already in advance sent you Warning.
"The Word changes not before Me, and I do not the least injustice to My Servants."
One Day We will ask Hell, "Art thou filled to the full?" It will say, "Are there any more (to come)?"

1 comment:

Hafsa said...

"made me realise how absolutely important it is to watch out for my sisters and brothers"

you already do it anyways :)