Imam Zaid Shakir's event on SunniPath less than 12 hours ago, was one of the best lectures I've heard by him. Inshallah the recording will be posted, and I'll link to that when it's up. I recommend anyone who is even slightly interested in global world changes listen to it.
Here's a bit of summary from my notes:
- Corruption has appeared in the land and the sea because of what the hands of humans have brought about [Qur'an].
- By 2050- 90% of the sea species could be gone. Water polluted with carcinogens, poison, heavy metals, pollutions. The VAST oceans are receiving annually 20 billion tonnes of waste and pollution from our lakes and rivers. Causes alteration of the salinity, pH balance
- The life in the sea has been hotwired by Allah (swt) over millions of years. If the plankton dies, no oxygen. Plankton produces most of the oxygen we breathe.
- Disappearance of low-lying coastal areas, home to 200million people
=>Northern people such as inuits have had to abandon villages
- Polar bears and other ice animals are threatened with extinction
- They're talking about an open passages between the North Pole in 10 years
- Uranium: Babies born with no eyes, no limbs in Iraq
- Conscious human activity, towards sustaining a wasteful lifestyle:
-> Millions of acres converted to cattle farms so that we can eat our burgers and meat.
-> Cultivating vital fuels such as sugarcane, corn- so that sugar can be converted into ethanol to power our cars- so that we can drive hummers and SUVs to feel "empowered" because of the lack of spirituality in our lives.
[And this is the part I love]
- When the Prophet pbuh passed Uhud, he said, this is a mountain that loves us, and we love it.
- Moaning of the stump on the pain of the separation with the Prophet (pbuh)
Trees, birds, beasts, flowers: all beautify the world we live in, they are all our friends. We all worship together.