Friday, August 31, 2007

The best of friends

Subhanallah, how great was Umar bin Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him). I read about him and try to emulate him as much as I can. And I came across this post below, and wondered, how good a friend I am? And this question is so apt, when my friends are going through so much at this time in their lives. May Allah be with them.

In old, worn out shabby looking clothes, Amir Al-Mu’minin, Ali Bin Abi Taleb, sat saying grace to Allah.

Abu Mariam, one of the servants, sat on his knees close to Ali and whispered: "Amir Al-Mu’minin, I have something to ask of you.”

Ali said: “What is it that you want to ask?”

Abu Mariam said: “That you throw away the clothes you are wearing. They are old and ripped and do not go well with your position.”

Ali Bin Abi Taleb put the tip of his clothes on his eyes and started to cry until his weeping was loud.

Read the rest on Glimpses into the life of Umar Farooq The best of friends

No comments: