Thursday, July 26, 2007

Book Review- Our iceberg is melting

I went to the mall a couple of days ago with the intention of picking up some exercise items, and ended up at BooksPlus. I really didn't have time for more books, especially when I'm reading Robert Fisk's 1300+ page book and The Tipping Point...

Anyways, I picked up Our Iceberg is Melting by John Kotter and Holger Rathgeber, simply because Kotter's from the Harvard Business School. And I finished the book overnight.



The book is a story of a penguin colony. The story is written extremely well, and it's very simple. I think all parents should make their children read it and implement it. The ideas and solutions for change management are very systematic, and will definitely make you think about what you face in real life as you go through the book.

The 8 steps of change management are:


  1. Create a sense of urgency
  2. Pull together the guiding team
  3. Develop the vision and change strategy
  4. Communicate for understanding and buy-in
  5. Empower others to act
  6. Produce short-term wins
  7. Don’t let up
  8. Create a new culture

The penguins really are addictive. I made my 16 year old sister also read the book, and today she said, "I really miss the penguins".

Alice was my favorite character in the book.

1 comment:

Maria said...

I liked the book very much. I guess my favourite character is Fred. I think I have something in common with this penguin.
By the way, why do you like Alice so much?