Saturday, November 18, 2006

Impatience

Yesterday, I went for Jumu'ah to the local Masjid for the first time ever in this country. My mother told me that this particular masjid has been built by the people, as opposed to the government, and hence it had more active participants. Very cool.
But when I walked in to the Masjid, I stopped dead. The interior was so so beautiful! It's definitely one of the most beautiful Masjid I've been to, after the ones in Saudi Arabia. It looked as if the interior was made of gold. As we entered the prayer room for women, I was even more surprised to see a large LCD screen showing the men's side and the Imam. Woah...technology!
I finished praying my nafil and sunnah, and attentively listened to the Khutbah, which was in Arabic. I missed a lot of it- I wasn't able to piece it all together. However, I did understand the verse, where Allah (swt) says:
To those who reject Our signs and treat them with arrogance, no opening will there be of the gates of heaven, nor will they enter the garden, until the camel can pass through the eye of the needle: Such is Our reward for those in sin. [Al-Araf (The Heights) 7:40]
The Imam also talked about sayings of Imam Ibn Qayyim (rahimuhullah), but I still have to search for the whole translation online.

After the khutbah, something awful happened, that just made me so angry that I couldn't stop thinking about it all day, and even now. A little boy, perhaps not even 4 was playing with a water bottle, by throwing it on the floor. I decided to play with him by catching the bottle before it hits the floor...and as soon as I caught the bottle, a woman comes up, his mother, and just slaps him hard on his head. It was so hard that the kid was almost going to fall. He wasn't even making noise, the prayer was over and everyone was leaving. The boy's facial expression changed... he rotated a couple of times in his position, very next to tears. It was a hard slap. I couldnt't move from my spot. The mom just walked away to the back of the room, and sat down. She had another kid, whom she kissed and made her/him sit down on her lap. Meanwhile, this kid found his way to his mom and fell down next to her. I was so enraged.
I'm sure kids get beaten up by their parents all the time. But this was horrible. You shouldn't hit on the head- It was hard enough to have caused a concussion. I was so mad that as soon as I got home, I couldn't stop talking about it to my mother. Mummy said, " parents do not realise what they do, and then kids have these awful images of hating the Masjid". She told me to pray for the mother. Mummy tells me to pray for everyone. Mummy said that if she was there, she would have talked to the mom. That's exaclty what I wanted to do- Except, I probably would have made no sense in Arabic.
What an impatient society we live in. A society in which we see very clearly what we want, and the only truth seems to be: I am right. And we do not realise the consequences of our actions.
And we keep losing time. Life's journey continues.

No comments: